- This event has passed.
One Ocean Hub Roundtable: Small-scale Fishers’ Human Rights
June 6 @ 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
This two-hour roundtable is organised by the One Ocean Hub with the support and technical assistance of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO). The event will explore the need for a comprehensive understanding of the human rights of small-scale fishers and how different mandates across the United Nations System can contribute to enhancing the protection of the human rights of small-scale fishers, fisherworkers, and their communities.
This event will feature a video message from the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights and it will bring together the UN Special Rapporteur on Human Rights and the Environment, small-scale fishers, a national human rights institution, as well as researchers to share views on key challenges for the protection of small-scale fishers’ human rights. This roundtable discussion is aimed to advance awareness of the need for a holistic approach to the protection of the human rights of small-scale fishers and fish workers, and to explore the different UN mandates that can contribute opportunities for better international support for small-scale fishers representatives and advocates.
The key messages identified during the roundtable discussion will be shared with the UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, other partners and international for a for further dialogue and action as part of the International Year of Artisanal Fisheries and Aquaculture.
• Elisa Morgera, Director, One Ocean Hub
• Nicole Franz, Fishery Planning Officer, FAO
• David Boyd, UN Special Rapporteur on Human Rights and the Environment
• Sisay Yeshanew, Development Law Specialist, FAO
• Eastern Cape traditional small-scale fisher, South Africa
• Jones Thomas Spartagus and Md. Mujibul Haque Munir, International Planning Committee for Food Sovereignty
• Sebastian Mathew, International Collective in Support of Fishworkers,
• Sille Stidsen, the Danish Institute for Human Rights
• Dr Bolanle Erinosho, University of Cape Coast, Ghana
• Dr Tapiwa Warikandwa, University of Namibia, Namibia